The key benefit of financial modeling is to analyze and manage risk in order to build & maintain a profitable company. It plays a crucial part in managing any modern-day business. If you are a student looking to make a career in financial modeling or a professional looking to upgrade your skillset, read on to know more about the best financial modeling courses in Hong Kong. Financial modeling education can help you secure a future in equity research, risk analysis, portfolio analysis, financial planning, and many such sought-after jobs.
Even though the Hong Kong economy is still recovering from the ravages of the COVID-19 pandemic that has crippled many parts of China, there has been a positive outlook in the market as it is opening up to opportunities and growth. Given its erstwhile reputation of being one of Asia’s strongest economies, it is safe to say that the road to radical recovery of the Hong Kong market is well on its way.
Hong Kong has been among the notable financial hubs of the world and if you are among those aspiring to make your mark here, now is your chance. As a matter of fact, this is the perfect time to enter financial modeling and grab the opportunities that the Hong Kong financial sector has to offer.
In this article, we will talk about the top financial modeling courses in Hong Kong and how they can turnaround your career into an exciting journey. Let us start with some basics about the topic.
What is Financial Modelling?
To put it simply, Financial Modelling is the complex analysis of the finances of a company’s past & present income vs expense in such a manner that the financial future of the business or project can be predicted. Some of the relevant factors that are taken into account for financial modeling are probable risk factors, expected loss provisioning, and the desired percentage of integral growth of the business.
The key objective here is to help the stakeholders optimize decision-making, define financial policies, mitigate risk, and long-range planning, identification of fund sources &/ investment opportunities, and manage the P&L of the company. Financial models can be made from the ground up in cases where there has never been one or an existing model can be maintained &/ modified as necessary.
In the Banking & Finance sector most, financial models are made on Excel spreadsheets, using formulas and historical data of the company. Excel enables complex calculations & formulations required for financial modeling & forecasting of a company’s present & future. However, that is not to say that a great financial model can be created on Excel alone.
There are some excellent financial modeling tools/software/financial model builders that are available for use. These software and model builders are usually user-friendly & effective as they use Artificial Intelligence (AI) to gather data from the data sources, marginalize the chance of errors & create hyper-accurate financial models.
Corporations Where Financial Modelling is Extensively Used:
There are many opportunities for financial modelers and valuation experts in the job market, in fact, some of the most respected jobs in the most prestigious of companies are offered in this field. Needless to say, the salary and incentives are also extremely attractive in this arena.
- Commercial Banking
- Investment Banking
- Equity Research
- Stock Trading,
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Strategic Planning
- Credit Rating Agencies
- Project Financing
- Financial KPO’s
How Does Financial Modeling Benefit an Organisation?
There are invaluable advantages that companies derive from financial modeling exercises. Mentioned below are some of the primary benefits.
- Gather a deeper understanding of their business – By getting involved in the day-to-day operations of how the organization functions under external & internal influences that affect it, it is possible to ascertain how environmental change can impact a firm. This can provide a competitive edge over others as well as keep uncertainty at bay.
- Risk Mitigation – The extensive due diligence carried out with the use of financial modeling assists businesses to minimize risks by identifying potential threats and providing an overview of the economic implications.
- Managing Future Budgets – Fund Strategies are made in order to create budgets for future operational expenses, keeping in mind expansion & renewal costs. Financial models can provide near-accurate projections of the requirement of funds.
- Long-Range Planning & Forecasting – Financial models can help decide the future long-term action that a company should take for increasing profitability & sustainable growth of its business.
- Valuation – Financial models can determine the valuation of a company by assessing expected future cash accruals. Valuations are required in case a company is buying/selling a particular stake, in the event of mergers & acquisitions and when capital is being raised from the market.
- Business Growth – Often financial models are able to identify growth opportunities for a business by examining shifts in market movements, demands, and budget distribution in a certain area or project. Identifying avenues of improvement, opportunities for reducing costs, and increasing profits ultimately contribute to the growth of business at large.
- Reviewing Periodic Performances – Variance analysis is a method by which business performance can be measured. Financial models help to analyze expenses vs income at periodic intervals so that the final objectives of the business remain on track.
The Best Financial Modeling Courses in Hong Kong:
Compiled below is a list of the best programs for financial modeling. Keep reading to find out about the course that is best suited to fulfill your needs.
1. IIM SKILLS – Financial Modelling & Valuation Course
Known to be one of the best online technical training institutes across the board, IIM SKILLS offers one of the finest financial modeling courses in Hong Kong. This Financial Modelling & Valuation program has been designed by experienced veterans from the financial sector and will thoroughly prepare students for the job market.
Their hands-on training imparted over a duration of three months, includes more than 50 hours of live online classes, 20 hours or more of Q&A sessions, loads of assignments, and subsequent feedback for mastering the skills that pupils will acquire. Additionally, there will be case studies & a two-month-long internship with partner investment banking & valuation firms and preparation for job interviews. Placement support will be provided as part of the package.
Among the primary objectives of this course is for incumbents to be able to hone their analytical capabilities, learn effective presentation & communication techniques, and most importantly create competent financial models from the ground & become expert valuation analysts.
Financial Modeling Course Curriculum:
Divided into 6 modules the IIM Skills financial modeling course will cover:
- Basic & advance level Excel
- Understanding of accounting concepts & financial statements
- Key Performance Indicator Analysis
- Introduction to Financial Modelling, best practices, Financial Modelling with Python, etc.
- Different types of financial models
- Business Valuation
Options to choose from weekdays or weekend batches, this course offers ultimate flexibility to freshers as well as professionals.
Course Fees: 3,757.04 Hong Kong Dollars
Eligibility: Open to freshers who are pursuing their undergraduate studies in finance or commerce/have completed the same, working professionals from banking & finance backgrounds looking to upskill & professionals looking to switch careers are all welcome. However, you do need to be able to work with computers and have some working knowledge of Excel.
Customer Care No: +91 9580 740 740
2. Corporate Finance Institute (CFI) – Financial Modelling & Valuation Analyst Certification (FMVA)
CFI is a premier institute renowned globally for its online as well as offline courses in Financial Modelling. Their FMVA certification is one of the most comprehensive financial modeling courses in Hong Kong designed for participants to gather state-of-the-art tools & techniques to propel their financial careers.
This program consists of 8 foundational courses, the main financial modeling & valuation course, electives, the final exam & the FMVA certification. All of the courses are imparted by financial experts who have carved out a niche for themselves in the industry.
The principal learning outcomes of this certification include providing students with a strong accounting base, advanced level Excel skills, clarity on financial concepts & processes, financial modeling & valuation expertise, budgetary & forecasting capabilities, insightful presentation, and strategy creation competence.
The Financial Modelling & Valuation Analyst Certification course consists of preparatory courses for beginners or for those who would like to brush up on the fundamentals before moving on to the core course. This is purely optional. The compulsory core courses, 3 electives can be chosen as per student preference, the exam and finally the FMVA certification.
Core Courses will cover the following topics:
- Fundamentals of Financial Analysis
- Introduction to 3-Statement Modelling
- Understanding Business Valuation
- Accounting Principles & Standards
- Operational Modelling
- Discounted Cash Flow Valuation Modelling
- Comparable Valuation Analysis
- 3 Statement Modelling
- Budgeting & Forecasting
- FP&A Monthly Cash Flow Forecast Model
- Scenario & Sensitivity Analysis in Excel
- Dashboard & Data Visualisation
- PowerPoint & Pitchbooks
- Professional Ethics
There is an option for students to choose from the self-paced study or the full immersion. In both cases, students will be given access to state-of-the-art financial tools as part of the curriculum.
Course Fees: Self-paced – $497 per year, Full immersion – $847 per year
Eligibility: Open to everyone irrespective of experience & educational background. You just need to have a PC, install Microsoft Suite (2016 or later), and support internet access.
3. Udemy – Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modelling & Valuation
This online academy is among the top training institutes with over 2,00,000 courses to their credit. The variety of vocational courses that Udemy offers for training & upskilling of professionals is simply unmatched. The Beginner to Pro in Excel: Financial Modelling & Valuation course is among the best & most popular courses that Udemy offers. Needless to say, it is among the bestselling financial modeling courses in Hong Kong in 2023.
By opting for this course, students will gain proficiency in advanced Excel, be able to create P&L statements, develop cash flow statements, learn how to make valuations and so much more.
The elements that will be covered under the Beginner to Pro Excel: Financial Modelling & Valuations sessions are:
- Introduction to Excel, useful tips & tools, keyboard shortcuts to Excel
- Key functions & functionalities, including SUMIFS formulae of Excel made easy
- Financial functions on Excel
- All about pivot tables
- How to build a P&L (Case Studies)
- Introduction to Excel charts
- Business Analysis techniques applied to Excel
- Build your own FMCG Model
- Fundamentals of Financial Modelling
- Introduction to Company Valuation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- How to build a Discounted Cash Flow model
- Tesla Valuation (Practical exercise)
- How to value a company with multiple
- Leveraged Buyout Valuation (LBO)
- Theory of Capital Budgeting & case study
This is a self-paced on-demand video training course of 17.5 hours.
Course Fees: $40
Eligibility: Open to all graduates and banking & finance professionals
4. Kaplan Professional – Executive Certification in Financial Modelling
One of the most distinctive & pioneering education companies in the world, Kaplan Hong Kong is committed to providing professional and business training in the South East Asian & APAC Regions. Kaplan’s Executive Certification in Financial Modelling is possibly the most highly rated financial modeling course in Hong Kong.
From this training, incumbents will learn the hardcore financial modeling dexterity that is required for careers in Investment Banking. The training includes online classes, on-campus training, group project work, case studies, group presentations, etc, with a practical market approach.
The course will be imparted in English/Mandarin/Cantonese through 4 modules of 2 days each and will cover the following areas:
- Introduction to Financial Modelling, a step-by-step approach to building financial models and performing financial analysis
- Comparable Companies Analysis & Discounted Cash Flow Analysis
- Leveraged Buyout Analysis
- Merger Analysis
Once students have completed two modeling courses within a span of 18 months, they will be awarded the Executive Certificate in Financial Modelling.
- Online Financial Modeling Courses
- Financial Modeling Courses in London
- Financial Modeling Courses in Dubai
- Financial Modeling Courses in Melbourne
- Financial Modeling Courses in Singapore
- Financial Modeling Courses in Toronto
5. Financial Modelling Institute (FMI) – Foundations in Financial Modelling
The foundations training from FMI is one of the introductory financial modeling courses in Hong Kong. It is best suited for beginners who want to start their careers in Financial Modelling. This is a precursor to other advanced & master’s courses in the same field offered by FMI.
In this basic course students will learn about the fundamentals of Financial Modelling, how to build different types of models, best industry practices, etc.
The course is divided into 6 modules and will teach the following concepts:
- Effective financial model structure
- Optimal model design flow
- Financial decision-making tools
- Financial statements
- Financial schedules
- Key accounting concepts
This 10-hour short online course is among the best Financial Modeling courses in Hong Kong for freshers/newbies in this field. FMI does not offer any accreditations for this course. In case you are interested in FMI accreditation you can visit their website to check out other advanced courses in FM.
Course Fees: $195
6. Training The Street- Fast Track Financial Modelling
For the last 24 years, this institute has been providing training in Banking & Finance related courses throughout the world. The Fast Track Financial Modelling from Training The Street is one of the most intensive financial modeling courses in Hong Kong. With a combination of guided presentations and exercises, this training is designed to give the participants an accelerated practical feel that will adequately prepare them for lucrative jobs in the Banking & Finance sphere.
The key offerings of this program are for students to be able to create innovative financial models on Excel and to run them under a variety of circumstances,
The topics that will be taught over this 2-day online training course are:
- Excel Best Practices & Efficiencies
- Financial Modelling
- Troubleshooting the Model
- Utilizing the data tables
- Advanced Sensitivity Analysis
Course Fees: $2300 if registration is completed before 30 days, $2500 if registration is within 30 days.
Eligibility: Existing professionals from the Finance, Investment Banking, Consulting, Insurance, PE, Sales & Trading, Asset Management & other related fields may apply.
Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Modeling Courses in Hong Kong
1. What are the advantages of doing financial modeling courses in Hong Kong?
Financial modelling is a skill for which there is a huge demand whether in Hong Kong or anywhere else. If you are a fresher, a financial modeling course will give you an edge over others in the job market. For existing professionals, a financial modeling course can give you the confidence required to catapult your career in the right direction. Acquiring additional skills will definitely result in pay hikes and elevation. It will also make you one of those niche skilled people, who help organizations make better and faster decisions about their present & future profitability and sustainability. Always remember that professional courses give you real-world experiences and practical exercises, that traditional education most often cannot. There is always something to gain from upgrading your education.
2. How good are online financial modeling courses in Hong Kong?
Online courses are as good as offline courses. In modern times most individuals are doing multiple things at the same time. In such a scenario, online courses offer ultimate flexibility. Since most of the online courses in Hong Kong are imparted by some of the world’s most reputed institutes, you are sure to be in safe and capable hands.
You will have direct access to your trainers & mentors and all your doubts & clarifications will be addressed without prejudice. Most of the institutes allow lifetime access to tools & updates on the topic, which will go a long way in helping you to remain updated. Plus, anytime your concepts get a bit rusty you will have the apparatus to brush things up.
3. What are some of the jobs that I may get if I opt for financial modeling courses in Hong Kong?
A financial modeling course will ensure that you get some of the best-paying jobs out there. Almost all of the courses come with inbuilt job interview counseling and placement support. Hong Kong has always been the hotbed of Banking & Finance, therefore it is expected that the scope for modeling experts will be many in the upcoming times. Earlier we discussed the kind of organizations that hire financial modeling specialists. Here are some of the positions that may be offered to experts in this field:
- Financial Analyst
- Equity Research Analyst
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Financial Modeller
- Finance Controller
- Credit Analyst
- Risk Analyst
- Valuation Analyst
4. Are the short financial modeling courses in Hong Kong as good as the longer courses?
It is pertinent to keep in mind that the duration of the course does not determine whether it is good or not. The contents of the course, the experience of the trainers, and the practical experiences/exercises that you will gather are paramount. Courses are designed to cater to specific needs. Make sure you define your professional goal and then choose a course that fits your requirement. Short courses are often designed by breaking up a subject into different parts which make it easier to absorb. It gives you the opportunity to learn at your own pace moreover, you can opt for further upskilling as and when you need.
What kind of educational background will make me eligible for enrolling in financial modeling courses in Hong Kong?
Not necessarily. While some courses are designed especially for experienced industry professionals and may define some pre-conditions, there are many other courses designed for beginners. Irrespective of your academic background you can pursue a financial modeling course and a career in this field. Some basic financial knowledge, computer proficiency, excel skills etc, may be helpful to begin with but, most courses are tailored to either start with the fundamentals or will give you a self-study introduction manual before the actual classes start. In this way, you can read through the basics beforehand so that you can follow the lessons.